Monday, January 5, 2009

Here I Go

Just printed off my first VERY rough draft of the novel I wrote in November during National Novel Writing Month. Keeping in mind it's a very rough draft, here's a tidbit from page...hmm... oh, 11. How about that?

“So that’s how it is. I get it. See you tomorrow.” And he left, but he turned to take one more look before he walked out the door, as though he knew my eyes would be following his straight broad back, shaping the hollow between those long muscles under his shirt with my eyes. He was too conceited for me, I knew, and far too beautiful. But it had been a long time since anyone had looked at me the way he did, whether his looks were genuine or not.
At home, I sat in front of the TV with a bowl of cereal, crunching away while I watched my boyfriend Ross chase Rachel behind the dusty curved glass. My life was pitiful, I knew. Something about Ross attracted me, though, and had ever since the first season of Friends, back when I was still in junior high. Something about his geeky brainy-ness was appealing. Maybe the fact that he didn’t know how cute he was, and that he was awkward and shy in unfamiliar social situations, just like me. Nothing like Paul, but maybe I was growing up now, no longer interested in a nerd like Ross. Paul was my adult fantasy, and indulging that fantasy was harmless, especially when I was sitting on my ratty Ikea couch with an empty cereal bowl balanced on my knee.

I don't know...what do you think?

5 comments:

ACW said...

I'd say the subliminal mind was hard at work!

Congrats on actually being brave enough to READ your NaNoWriMo draft. I delegated that task to other courageous souls.

Anne

Anonymous said...

Nice work Kir! So when are you going to let me read the whole thing?

Anonymous said...

Ross was always my favorite! It has me hooked so far...but it's the middle!! I need to read it all..NOW!! Oh I can't wait!

Card said...

I think you are an absolutely and thoroughly beautiful human. Thanks for letting me peek into your world...I like it here.

Kir said...

Welcome, Card. You are nice to me, so you can visit any time. I'll even make virtual cookies for you.