Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bringin' back the cool


A great friend and mentor of mine, RON SAMUL, editor of Miranda Literary Magazine, has proposed a scheme that I can't say no to. I've long thought he was a genius and he's given me so many hours of his time listening to my ideas and honing my stories that I feel compelled to encourage his latest idea.
We were talking about words that have died out in the English language, words that have been recently replaced by more common words to the detriment of our vocabulary.
So we've decided to bring the most important word back. The word is RAD.
It is an important word. A word that evokes my teenage years, and maybe yours. I remember saying it when I heard the New Kids on the Block sing their crooning melodies, when I danced to Vanilla Ice, when I saw my best friend Amber's stylish hair swept back in a hot pink banana clip, and when my dad walked into the kitchen one morning dressed for work in white long johns, a dress shirt buttoned askew and mismatched socks. (That last RAD was uttered in the sarcastic voice only a teenager is allowed to use.)
Ron and I would like to see RAD revived coast to coast, so if you would just begin to use it regularly in your daily language, that would be great. You should not overuse it, however, for fear of turning people off to the wonder of the word. Don't kill it. Just gently toss it into maybe every other conversation, like you'd toss a young child onto a mattress. That should just about do it.
See how it catches on.

4 comments:

David Harns said...

As I was tossing my children gently on to mattresses tonight, I introduced them to the coolest word ever. I said, "hey kids, your pajamas are rad." They said ok. We'll see where it goes from there. It's a start.

Kir said...

Which is all I'm asking for.

Kir said...

And by the way, D, you're a RAD dad.

RSamul said...

From the Urban Dictionary:
Rad: really cool, but in a more subtle way. as opposed to extreme or awesome. one of the highest compliments you can give someone. being rad is like being cool without having to work for it. it's like a natural coolness.

It might be said that it was made famous by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but I was saying it long before.

Spread the "good word". RON