Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Book Review: Watership Down by Richard Adams


I remember watching this movie as a child after my mom had finished reading the book. She loved it and did her best to encourage us to read it. I can't speak for my siblings, but even though I enjoyed the movie, I just wasn't very interested in the book. A bunch of rabbits hopping around, eating clover and occasionally having great adventures or fighting epic battles. Nah.
Since then, I have recommended it occasionally to a student who loves animals, and a few of them have read and enjoyed it, but it was only a few weeks ago, when I was reaching for suggestions for Jared, who had just finished--and greatly enjoyed--Life of Pi that I remembered this book. I described the premise and he seemed interested, so I ordered a copy.
Of course when it arrived, he took one look at the cover and shook his head. He had already decided in the time the book took to be shipped that he was more interested in reading Jurassic Park or The Lost World instead, so I decided to read it myself.
And I am so glad I did.
And here is my review: (Warning. I will cover a fair number of primary plot points.)

Hazel and Fiver, brothers, lead a group of about ten rabbits away from their home warren because Fiver--who has visions and intuitions that are usually prophetic--has foreseen doom for their home. They warn the chief rabbit, but he dismisses them and tries to arrest them.
The band of runaways has many adventures before establishing a new warren on Watership Down, the safe place Fiver foresaw.
The dig burrows, befriend a mouse and a gull, and then realize that without does, their warren will soon be empty.
The find some--and liberate them--from a nearby farm, but Kehaar, their gull friend, has also brought news of a huge warren some distance away. Hazel sends three rabbits to investigate, and they return days later with shocking news.
Efrafa, the huge warren, is overcrowded and could certainly part with some does, but it is controlled by General Woundwort, a megalomaniac dictator, who will not tolerate the removal of any rabbits--and the delegates themselves barely effect their escape.
Hazel, though, will not give up. The two does rescued from the farm are not enough. He leads a band of rabbits back to Efrafa, where with courage, luck, and cleverness, they do liberate about ten does and escape back to their warren.
But General Woundwort will not give up, and be brings a force to attack the warren on Watership Down. It is only with even MORE courage, luck, and cleverness that Hazel's band defeats Woundwort's. Hooray!

Okay, I've actually summarized the whole thing, so if you do decide to read it, maybe wait awhile and give yourself time to forget this summary. But you know, even if you have foreknowledge of the basic plot, you can still enjoy the book. Adams describes the English countryside (and every hill, river, farm, and copse he describes actually exists, or it did in 1972) with loving, attentive care. The land is lush with life, with rabbits (and all of the other creatures) going about their lives, hunting for food, looking for safety, struggling to survive. It is obvious that Adams did careful research about rabbit behavior. Even though they talk and have emotions, their actions (and even feelings) seem possible and even likely actions and emotions for rabbits to have. One of my favorite parts in the book was the parts where the rabbits spent time together telling stories, usually focusing on the antics of their hero, El-ahrairah, the wily rabbit king of old, who tricked even the shrewdest out of their lettuce (or other things).
It's a lovely book. I recommend it to anyone looking for a book dense with description, with some action and adventure, with interesting characters. I am going to push Jared harder to read it once he finishes his dinosaur kick.

No comments: